- About 47% of New Zealanders will experience a mental illness and/or addiction at some time in their life.
- 1 in 5 people effected within one year.
- Approximately 500 New Zealanders die by suicide every year.
- 40% of those were diagnosed with a mental health disorder.
- In an Australia study Nearly 1 in 4 people felt depression was a sign of personal weakness and would not employ a person with depression.
- One in 5 said that if they had depression they wouldn’t tell anyone.
Mental Health Foundation: Quick Facts and Stats 2014
The Health of New Zealand Adults 2011/12: Key findings of the New Zealand Health Survey
Office of the Director of Mental Health Annual Report 2013
The Mental Health and Addiction Service Development Plan, 2012–2017.
Government of Western Australia Mental Health COMMISSION